Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Next Great Adventure


I was the kind of kid who was obsessed with the past. How people lived, what they wore, what they ate etc. Little House on the Prairie, Betsy-Tacy, Little Women were my books of choice, reading them over and over. I often day dreamed about time travel and living in the past during one of those time periods. I think the draw was the simplicity, the seemingly goodness of the people and the family values. And don’t forget the clothes (ha ha.) Everything about “the past” was romantic to me.


In later life, during my 30’s I went through a depression brought on by tremendous stress over the breakup of my marriage and being a single Mom to three small children, with no help and little financial resources. I consciously worked at the parenting bit, but was in a funk in all other areas of my life. What brought me out of it? Elizabeth Tudor did. I think of her as having saved my life. I started researching Tudor times, especially Elizabeth. I read everything, but gravitated towards reliable historical source documentation. I dislike romantic fiction and shows like “The Tudors” for the historical inaccuracies, but I love them for the costumes, hairstyles, jewelry and interior design.  I engrossed myself in her life and while certainly she could be portrayed as difficult, as all empowered women have been and continue to be, her empowerment is what I latched on to. I came out of that time period with quite an impressive library of old and new books and overcame my depression.


I became aware of Thoreau’s Walden around the age of 12. I often dreamed of having my own cabin in the woods and living self-sufficiently and simply. The urge for this has never left me, and while I get the cliché of it all and what Henry’s (I call him Henry in my mind) critics felt about him; I still admire what he did and how well he documented it. The desire to live this was way has been getting stronger and stronger for me. Almost ten years ago I took a step in the direction by purchasing two acres and an old house. Oh, I had big dreams! My son Matt dubbed our new home “The Shire” and while it looked far from that idyllic place, I was so happy with it and excited to turn it into a self-sufficient little homestead. But I found out the hard way these were my dreams, not those of any of my family members. No one really wanted to help. The kids were nearly grown and going off to college. Purchasing such a place took most of the financial resources and not much was left for anything else. Wrong timing. But the dream has never died.


Through a series of serendipitous events my dream is about to come true once again. This time I believe the timing is perfect! I will still be doing it on my own (no more children at home) but that is okay. I feel more than up to the challenge. I am moving to quite a rural property with many acres. I will be renting a small cabin. There are plenty of woods (that contain bears and mountain lions I was just informed) and lots of space for gardens. Eventually I hope to have chickens and maybe a couple of goats. I think looking back over my life events the only other time that had me this excited was the birth of my children.  Excited is too blasé a word for how I am feeling. Passionate, inflamed, enthralled! Okay, that’s better (I know I am a word geek.)


Things have been quiet on the blog, but that is about to change. Once I get settled I will have way more interesting things to write about! I will be back with regular consistent posts by the end of April. Since I know that I don’t really have any kind of a following yet, because I have done very little to promote this blog there is really no one out there to care when I am back (except maybe my dear Auntie Rosie-hi Ro!) That is okay, if nothing else I am practicing finding my writing voice and that was my main intention for starting the blog anyway. I do wonder though if anyone can relate to being attached to the past? If by some off chance you read this, I would love to hear!


No comments:

Post a Comment